30 good practices in biowaste management and circular bioeconomy already identified

Photo by AbsolutVision on Unsplash

Biowaste and circular bioeconomy solutions are already implemented across Europe (and beyond). They represent an interesting pool of practices that could potentially be replicated in the pilot territories. Partners thus started to collect and investigate the many existing practices on circular bioeconomy and biowaste management developed at European and local level to assess the room for improvement in the priority sectors identified in the selected urban contexts.  

As a results more than 30 good practices are now ready to inspire the Province of Pazardzhik, the Metropolitan City of Naples, and the Metropolitan Area of Barcelona. They mostly focus on the improvement of source separated collection to increase the quality of collected biowaste (decreasing the impurity content), the implementation of communication campaigns to rise consumer awareness about the importance of increasing biowaste separate collection, the decentralization of biowaste treatment and the implementation of biowaste prevention actions.  

Nevertheless, there are significant differences among the pilots related to the level of development and use of environmentally friendly technologies. While in some areas the focus is on identifying users to make more efficient the separate collection, others are exploring alternative solutions to direct landfilling such as the mechanical and biological treatment of mixed waste. In this sense, it is important to highlight that the base point in each area is different as well as the challenges involved. 

The collection of good practices led to the identification of interesting case studies developed in the countries of the pilots. Have a look at the three examples below for a taste of the practices that have been identified by partners. 

Increase of 80% in separate collection of municipal waste – Municipality of La Conca de Barberà (Spain) 

The collection system in 22 municipalities of La Conca de Barberà in Catalonia shifted from a collection in open road containers to controlled ones. Three municipalities adopted door-to-door collection for all their waste fractions, 15 municipalities implemented containers with control access technology, and other four municipalities shifted to a system mixing door to door collection in some areas and control access containers in others. Following this change, the efficiency of separate collection increased from 61% to 80% in one year.  

Source: http://residusmunicipals.cat/actualitat/247-la-conca-de-barbera-assoleix-el-80-de-recollida-selectiva/ 

Increasing of recycling – Municipality of Sofia (Bulgaria) 

Given the low implementation of separate collection system and the high use of landfilling, the local administration decided to implement a new treatment plant to process household waste in Sofia Municipality. As a first result, an 84% recycling and recovery rate of household, green waste and biowaste has been achieved. The current objective is to reach 90 %, and only send the remaining 10% to disposal. 

Source: http://residusmunicipals.cat/actualitat/247-la-conca-de-barbera-assoleix-el-80-de-recollida-selectiva/ 

Increasing of separate collection and reduction in impurities – Municipality of Milan (Italy) a de Barberà (Spain) 

The separate collection in bring banks had low efficiency and the system was converted into door-to-door collection. This change produced an increase of separate collection from 34% to 51% and impurities reduction in biowaste drop down to 3.4%. 

Source: http://residusmunicipals.cat/actualitat/247-la-conca-de-barbera-assoleix-el-80-de-recollida-selectiva/